Monday, March 19, 2007

Emo or Angry?

I was curious what the difference was between emo and angry people. So I thought I'd do a little search online for some answers. Unfortunately, my search didn't make it past Wikipedia.com. Read the info below. If you know me, and you know how I've been acting lately, and you have some insight, please share.

EMO:
"Emo is a somewhat ambiguous, controversial slang term most frequently used to describe a fashion or subculture which is usually defined to have roots in punk fashion and subculture, as well as some attributes of gothic fashion and subculture.

More specifically, "when referring to a person's personality and attitude, most definitions of emo hold that an "emo person" is candid about their emotions, sensitive, shy, introverted, broken-hearted, glum, and often quiet. Emo personality is also often connected with writing poetry, which addresses confusion, depression, loneliness, and anger, all resulting from the world's inability to understand the author. Emo poetry uses a combination of any of: a highly emotional tone, stream of consciousness writing, a simple (ABAB) or nonexistent rhyme scheme, references to the flesh, especially the heart, heavy use of dark or depressing adjectives, concern over the mutability of time and/or love, and disregard for punctuation, grammar, and/or spelling. Themes such as life is pain are common.

"Some definitions of emo hold that typical "emo persons" are likely to inflict self-injury, most often by means of cutting, burning, or otherwise mutilating themselves. Some assert that it is cool within the emo subulture to pretend to be suicidal and self-harm, or that participants self-harm purely for personal enjoyment." (1)

ANGRY:
"Anger is a common emotional (physiological and psychological) response to a perceived threat to self or important others, present, past, or future. The threat may appear to be real or imagined. Anger is often a response to the perception of threat due to a physical conflict, injustice, negligence, humiliation or betrayal among other contentions.

"The expression of anger can be through active or passive behaviors. In the case of "active" emotion the angry person "lashes out" verbally or physically at an intended target. When anger is a "passive" emotion it is characterized by silent sulking, passive-aggressive behavior (hostility) and tension." (2)

So which category do I fall at this moment in time with recent emotionalism? I don't think I'm either. Maybe I'm feeling out of odds with myself lately, but I don't believe I'm angry. And I really don't think I'm emo, I just wanted to compare the two.

(1) All emo information found at Wikipedia.com.
(2) Angry information found at Wikipedia.com.

No comments: