Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Words to Live By: Obedience

o-be-di-ence, noun.
1. acquiescence to a command.
2. an act in submission to authority.
3. fulfillment of an expectation.
4. Biblical: compliance with the voice of authority.
5. Personal: a lifestyle of deference to God's will.

We ought to obey God rather than men.
-Acts 5:29

The Christian man is the freest lord of all and the most obedient servant of all.
-Martin Luther

If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land.
-Isaiah 1:19

"Obedience means relying on an authority outside of yourself to know how to fly, to know how to live your lives. You can't trust yourself, so you have to rely upon God, his Word, and the leaders he puts in your life."

Learning obedience is hard. I am a prideful human that has been affected by my forefather, Adam. Adam was disobedient towards God, and his rebellion has passed down from generation to generation and on down to me.

How is one obedient? How does one become obedient? It's actually quite simple, but it's much easier said than down. One is obedient when they submit their will to God and listen to his authority. Even Jesus had to obey, and he was perfect. I struggle with being obedient. And I struggle because I want the instant gratification. I want to be obedient and then quickly receive the fruits of my labor or my rewards. I don't want to wait, I don't want to be patient. But going through that is all part of the learning to be obedient.

For the past year and 9 months, I was working in a position, or department, that I was not happy in. But I knew that if I wanted to stay within the company I needed to just wait it out and pray that a position would become available that would be a perfect fit for me. I was obedient to God, or so I thought. I was the good Christian that was going to church, participating in a Bible Study, befriending strong Christian people, praying, going to Sunday School. You name it, I was doing it. You know what I found out though, works does not equal obedience. Obedience is matching my lifestlye and my heart to God's will for me. As I grew closer and closer to being an obedient person I grew stronger and more encouraged that although my time with my place of employment had not been pleasant, that there was a perfect place for me within it where I feel valued and be valuable.

And here I am now, 3 days into a new position where the people are friendly and understanding of the learning curve that I have. Where they want to see the employees excel and improve. Where I feel valued, yes, even after 3 days. I am where I am now because I was obeying God's command. I am reaping the fruits of my obedience. And boy does it feel good!

Now... let's see how else God will reward my obedience as I continue to obey...

We are born subjects, and to obey God is perfect liberty. He that does this shall be free, safe and happy.
-Seneca

No comments: