Saturday, June 28, 2008

Can this be the end?

Paige standing at the Higuera Street side of Bubblegum Alley, Downtown San Luis Obispo, demonstrating the proper application of bubblegum to the alley walls. Now, there are many ways, but I'm sure this is the most common.

First you chew gum to the point of gumminess.

Then you affix the gum to the wall of the alley with your hand. Now, I've heard of people that will use their mouth to stick it to the wall. But now that's just wrong!


Now the problem is, that despite the fact that Bubblegum Alley has been around for the past 30 to 40 years, it is being threatened to no longer be the landmark that it is. The Garden Street Terraces have been approved to be built in the downtown area. The proposed site is the block between Garden and Broad streets between Higuera and Marsh streets. The location is currently home to a parking lot, several stores, restaurants, bars and Bubblegum Alley. Do you see the problem?

I gotta figure out how to get them to more the proposed site. Yes, me, one person. But if you've been there and want to help with the campaign let me know. So what should the plan be? I know, I'll go set up shop and live in the alley. I'll chain myself to the walls. I'll picket! Yea, I'll picket.

Ok, another demonstration on how to stick the gum. This time by Kaitlin. Gum on finger. Get ready, get set...


Get stickin'!


Thank you to my lovely assistants. Ok, I've gotta get started on making my signs.

Make love, not war!

No comments: