Monday, August 4, 2008

To Market

Chilling by the hog barns. That's what we're doing here. I'm probably standing on someone's showbox. My Grammy wasn't a tall lady, but at 3 I know I wasn't the same height as her.
I'm guessing that this was either during the livestock auction or the Sunday morning of the May Day Fair. You see, we picked up a large number of livestock that would spend the last of their days at Arnold Meat Company.

I always enjoyed going with my dad super early in the morning to pick up the animals. Something about it fun. Maybe it was the spending time with dad even though we were working. Maybe it was the fact that he'd give me money and I'd go get cinnamon rolls. I don't know.

I do know this though. County fairs will always hold a special place in my heart. From grandparents serving on the board of directors, to participating in 4-H and showing swine, to actually holding a job and learning the ins and outs of what makes a fair run.

When going to a fair, I look at it all with different eyes than the regular fair goers.

No comments: