Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What is hope?

I have hope. I am hopeful. I have hope that God is bigger then me and that His plan for me is great. I have hope that what I feel is truly from God. If I didn't have hope, I would be a lost soul.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

See that, "plans for hope and a future." Though with this hopefulness the road is not easy. But I know that my God is with me every step of the way protecting and loving me.

For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
Romans 8:24-25

As we wait for God's will to unfold, we should place our confidence in God's goodness and wisdom. And God never makes promises he won't keep, it's just that his plan may take more time than we expect. Patience is where I lack, patience is here I seek help.

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Romans 12:12

Be joyful in hope...faithful in prayer. WOW! What would be the point of not being joyful in hope? To not be joyful in hope would be to give up, to call defeat and wave the white flag. To not be joyful in hope would be not believing that God's plan is great and perfect. To not be joyful in hope would be to see the glass as half empty and view life with such unbearable negativity.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:13

Therefore, I have hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wrote:
"What would be the point of not being joyful in hope? To not be joyful in hope would be to give up, to call defeat and wave the white flag. To not be joyful in hope would be not believing that God's plan is great and perfect."

I LOVE IT! I have often found myself thinking about this. I try to be realistic, to not get all excited or get my hopes up about things, because I don't want to end up disappointed or let down. But then I have to remind myself... God is GOOD, and He has a perfect plan for my life. By not having hope, I'm selling Him short; I'm not acknowledging all of His power and the great things that He can do. So I do have hope... but like you, I'm impatient, so the hard part is waiting for everything to play out!

Courtney said...

AMEN!